Catherine A. Peterson, PhD, RD
Dr. Peterson’s expertise is in the role of dietary factors in disease prevention, most recently focusing on vitamin D and its potential role in health protection via modulation of the adipoinsular axis and its anti-inflammatory functions. She has also published a variety of works including studies on the effects of variable calcium intakes on bone growth and mineralization, the effects of soy phytoestrogens on bone throughout various phases of the life span, and an invited review on optimizing infant bone health.
Dr. Peterson currently has three on-going project areas including:
- Vitamin D and insulin sensitivity in adolescent obesity
- Vitamin D in pregnancy and metabolic health of offspring
- Assessment of Vitamin D awareness among at-risk populations
"Correcting vitamin D insufficiency improves insulin sensitivity in obese adolescents: A randomized controlled trial."
- HES Distinguished Faculty Service Award, 2018.
- HES Distinguished Teaching Award, 2014.