Coming Fall 2021
We are excited to announce our first 100% online degree program leading to a BS in Fitness Programming and Management. This degree is designed for students who are interested in fitness and program management, but do not wish or are unable to be on campus. It is a good option for both traditional and non-traditional students, including those in the military.
The Bachelor of Science in Fitness Programming and Management
- Provides students with the knowledge and skills to assist individuals across the lifespan in adopting physical activity, exercise, and other healthy behaviors that lead to increased fitness, wellness and optimal health.
- Students are prepared to pursue national certifications provided by professional organizations in fields of study related to exercise, strength and conditioning, and sports medicine. Graduates will be experts at teaching exercise to most populations.
- Students will complete the coursework needed to earn a Minor in Business preparing them for a variety of jobs in the fitness industry and beyond. Information on the minor, courses, grades and other qualifications to earn the minor can be found on College of Business website. To earn the minor in Business, students must maintain a 2.00 GPA in the coursework.
- Students who earn a degree in Fitness Programming and Management often pursue careers in fitness centers, college and university wellness and health promotion, community health agencies, fitness manufacturing companies, hospitals and medical facilities, insurance companies, nonprofit disease prevention agencies, private health care organizations, schools, state and county health departments, wellness centers, and work-site wellness and health promotion.
Major Program Requirements:
This program is designed as a 100% online degree program leading to a BS in Fitness Programming and Management and requires a minimum of 120 total credit hours to complete. General Education requirements and approved courses from other institutions and entities may be transferred for credit; these will be evaluated by admissions and the department for equivalency. Upon completion of this academic program and as part of the student’s capstone project, the student will be required to sit for, and pass, the ACSM Personal Training Certification.
Online Undergraduate Certificate in Fitness Programming and Management
The certificate program is not as in-depth as the Bachelor’s degree, but is ideal for the student who does not want to complete the Bachelor’s degree at this time.
Core NEP courses (9 credits):
- NEP 1340: Introduction to Exercise and Fitness
- NEP 3450: Activity Through the Lifespan
- NEP 2140: Exercise Practicum
Core Business courses (6 credits):
- Econ 1000: Introduction to Economics
- Account 2010 or 2026: Introduction to Accounting
Students interested in the Online Fitness Programming and Management Bachelor of Science or Undergraduate Certificate program will apply through undergraduate admissions. Please see the admissions page for information on admission requirements. Fitness Programming and Management does not have an application deadline, but admits students on a rolling admission basis.