Advising Changes in NEP
The NEP Advising Office has gone through a few changes this summer. We have a new advisor and new home. Katie Barthel joined our team in May. She will be working on recruiting for the department, meeting with prospective students and advising some of the new Human Performance students. The Advising Office has moved to the 3rd floor of Gwynn Hall – room 322. It is a much larger space and allows for Tammy and Katie to work together and also provide extra room for social distancing when we meet with students.
NEP Fall 2020 Advising
- Virtual (Zoom) – Please use this option if experiencing any possible COVID-19 symptoms
- Live video conversation featuring screen sharing and interaction online.
- Sign up for a MU Connect appointment beforehand. For your safety, we are discouraging walk-in visits this year.
- Monitor yourself for any possible COVID-19 symptoms. If you find you are experiencing any symptoms, please let us know you would like to switch to a Zoom meeting instead.
- Face coverings required.
- The new advising location is set up so 6 + feet of social distancing is easily maintained.
- Please email us when you arrive on the 3rd floor and wait near the elevator/stairs until we respond to your email. We will respond to let you know when you can come down the hallway to our office in efforts to limit close contact with others.
Academic advisors are faculty and staff assigned to help you make the most of your time at Mizzou. They will assist you in finding a degree program that matches your interests and abilities, meeting graduation requirements and finding out about extracurricular activities that will boost your skills and broaden your experiences. The advisors in our department encourage a collaborative relationship with the student based on a sharing of responsibilities. The goal of the relationship is to guide the student toward accepting responsibility for his/her own learning and academic decision-making.
Transferring into the program: Students interested in one of our programs can now make appointments with our advisor, Katie Barthel by using MU Connect. You can view her calendar and select a time that works with your schedule – she is available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please select Zoom or in person when making your appointment and include emphasis area you are interested in.
At the appointment you will be able to discuss the program and complete the transfer process . Katie’s office is located in Gwynn Hall, Room 322.